May 2, 2014

Making Abstract Art = Expanding Horizons

Marianne Mitchell, In Liquid, Oil pastel, 10" x 10", 2014, sold



2014 marks the 5th and final year I will have taught The Practice of Making Abstract Art at 
Drexel University College of Medicine.  It is a thrill to witness the students transform from needing control, to being afraid of losing control, to accepting that there is no control, to enjoying the unknown, 
to trusting that whatever happens is good.  


Self-knowledge | Trust | Whole Picture | Acceptance | Focus 


A few words from the students themselves…

I learned that I can handle new things and there is no reason to doubt myself or not trust what I am doing. 
~ Sonya Shah, 1st year 2014

Medical training emphasizes that there is a right answer.  In making abstract art your best work is "you" - we are free to do, and think, and be whoever we are. We all come from different backgrounds and have unique contributions to make. ~ Angela Chang

Making abstract art has trained me to see the whole picture of something and not just the details.  Surprisingly, looking at the whole picture made me notice more details. ~ Nathan Steiner

I found the ability to let everything in the background fade away and focus on what was in front of me. ~ Kimberly Dike

I learned that I can actually create a piece of art that other people can enjoy and critique - which I found to be an amazing experience. ~ Bridget King


2014 MEDICAL STUDENT ART SELECTION

~ Elizabeth Jennifer Lin


~ Sonya Shah


~ Andrew Lin 


~ Kimberly Dike


~ Nathan Steiner


~ Jennifer Lane


A special thanks to Dr. Steven Rosenzweig for listening to my niggling notions about how 
making abstract art promotes the integration of intuitive and analytical thinking and taking a 
chance on a course that had yet to be designed when he hired me.  





No comments:

Post a Comment